Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Coyote domestic

A really random event occurred this morning while riding my bicycle to work. I was stared down by a coyote. It was just chilling on the sidewalk on Irvine Center Drive, which is a major 6 lane road. He was not really doing anything and seemed quite at ease. Which is odd, since I am pretty sure their natural habitat is not major roadways.

I see people walking their dogs in the morning all the time, so as I was coming down the street I just assumed it was a dog, but it most obviously was not. Once I got close enough he just stared at me as I rode past him. I literally passed within 5 feet of him. I wanted to stop and get a picture, but figured I would either scare him away or get mauled. Neither of which would have been the outcome I was looking for.

After getting to work I looked up coyotes on National Geographic and saw they can run up to 40 miles per hour. So I guess if he was in a mauling mood he could have taken me down anyway. In any case he was gorgeous and it was kind of a surreal experience. Ya wildlife!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome how sometimes we are reminded that despite all of the concrete we surround ourselves with, nature still exists all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i once saw a tree somewhere in seoul, ahhh nature.

    ReplyDelete